Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bonus Blog 9/27



After re reading Chapter 10 of Incidents In The Life Of A Slave Girl, I viewed it a little differently because I was focusing on a certain aspect of it. I felt sorry for the narrator the first time, but when I re read it, I felt even more sorry for her and had more compassion toward her problem. I did not realize the innocence of this young girl when I first read it. I just saw the big picture that she was pregnant and did not want to move into the house her master had built for her. This young girl has really been completely corrupted by her masters and she makes sure the reader can see this. She says this very compelling statement: "I wanted to keep myself pure and, under all circumstances, I tried hard to preserve my self-respect; but I was struggling alone in the powerful grasp of the demon Slavery; and the monster proved too strong for me " (Jacobs 777).This is just a very very sad quote and really makes the reader see just how innocent she truly was. She uses this language throughout this whole chapter and does so very effectively. Seeing slavery through the eyes of young women was not a common occurance and this really paints a good image of it. Another element of this narrator's writing that goes along with her innocence is her apparent feeling of embarrassment. She repeatedly says "It pains me to tell you of it; but..." (Jacobs 776) This really makes the reader feel sorry for her because there is nothing this poor girl can do about her situation. Another element the narrator uses to make the reader feel her pain is the sense that she really had no options, even with something like who she would marry. She says: "If slavery had been abolished, I, also could have married the man of my choice" (Jacobs 777). The narrator basically uses the same language throughout her narrative which is just this image of a young innocent girl who has completely been taken advantage of. It really draws in the reader and allows them to see just how hard life must have been for her. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home