Friday, November 11, 2011

Blog #14: The Things They Carried

      After reading the short story The Things They Carried and being asked what I would carry in my bag if I were in Lieutenant Cross's unit, I had to think a little about it. This is such a broad question. There's so many things I would WANT to take. However, there are also many things I would need to take. The men in Lieutenant Cross's unit carried a broad range of personal things. For the most part, they all carried the necessary gear needed for protection. The men also had sentimental things. O'Brien also mentions some of them brought things based on superstition. Of course, all of these men also had mental baggage they brought with them.
      Before reading the short story, I read the prompt for this writing, the first thing that came to mind that I'd want to bring with me is my Bible. After reading this, I knew without a doubt this would be something I would HAVE to bring. I cannot imagine the stress and tribulations these men had to go through on a daily basis. So many of these men had to deal with their unit members dying, such as Lavender dying and the men having to deal with this. I believe that in order for me to get through situations like this, I would need my Bible to read. There is advice and inspiration within it that would cover any issue that came my way.
        Aside from this, I would also bring the necessary equipment needed for survival, just as most of these men did. I would bring guns and ammunition to go with them to protect myself. Many of these men brought a pancho. Instead of a pancho, I would bring some sort of a thick rain coat that would serve the purpose of both keeping me warm and keeping me from getting wet. Because I am such a cold natured person and have a hard time getting things accomplished when I am cold, I would also bring a warm hat and a few extra pairs of socks. I would also want to bring a canteen along to keep water in to make sure I am always hydrated. The men also talked about bring a compression bandage. I would also want one of these just in case I got injured.
       There are also a few things that are not necessary for survival that I would want to bring along. I would bring a toothbrush. Not being able to brush my teeth is something I cannot stand. Oddly enough,  another item I would want to bring with me is some sort of candy. In the short story it says: "Rat Kiley carried brandy and M&M's candy" (O'Brien). As soon as I read this, I thought to myself that this would be me(The M&M's not the brandy!). Everyone that knows me knows how much I love sweets. I really think I would get through much day a little easier if I had a little candy everyday. I would also want to bring a picture of my family members and closest friends. I would also want to bring some letters, possibly words of encouragement, written by those I am closest to.
       As far as the emotional baggage I would carry, I am really not sure because I have never been in this type of a situation. I would obviously carry a sense of fear. I think it would be very tough knowing both myself and the people I was always with were risking their lives everyday. There's also a feeling of loneliness I know I would feel. It would be so tough being away from the people I care most about for such a long period of time not knowing if I'd ever get to see them again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home